Thursday, January 31, 2013


This is getting really ridiculous accumulating posts like this, I know. What I don't know is why it's so hard for me to just upload a few pictures every day. The written part is (usually) curent. ARGH!

I guess I'll break the post up between reintroducing soy and reintroducing gluten to at least have some separation.
Day 22:

Woke up and drank hot water with lemon & cayenne

Trying to make it a habit!

I also drank some MRM Driven mixed berry powder in water right before & during my workout. It's supposed to give you energy to power through. You're supposed to drink it 30-35 min beforehand, but I go to the gym immediately after I wake up. It still really worked! I was going faster and yet felt less tired. Love it! It does contain xylitol, which can be made from corn, ugh, but I couldn't find out for sure (it can also be made from birch), so I drank it anyway.

36 min elliptical, supppper light stretching (I can finally touch my toes again when I stretch! My hamstrings have been sooo tight, but they're getting better)

I'm also trying to bring back the Outfit of the Day. Only have a couple so far, including today.

I also wore a black blazer some of the day. Sorry for the cut off head :-P

I brought back the shake: half coconut milk, half almond milk, about 1/3 of a scoop of chia, chocolate sunwarrior, 1/2 a teaspoon sunflower seed butter, frozen strawberries. It was a little watery, but fine.

As I said the other day: Now that I tell myself I can eat whenever, I'm still never hungry. Wonder if that's mental or physical, hmm.

For a late lunch I had a turkey sandwich on brown rice toast with organic mixed greens, avocado, and spicy mustard.

This sat a little heavy in my stomach, maybe because the bread is so dense, but no big deal. Just making a note.

For a snack awhile later I had pistachios and a pear.

Since we needed a soy meal as part of re-introducing potential allergens/intolerances in Cycle 2, I made a stir fry type dish using 1 small diced up chicken thigh, about 1/3 of a block of diced tofu, a last minute addition of shrimp my dad brought over, broccoli, onion, almonds, brown rice noodles, and sesame seeds cooked with a little sesame oil, braggs liquid (soy) aminos, and sriracha!

I thought it would taste lackluster like the similar shrimp rice bowl I made last week, but this was GREAT! Loved my dads suggestion to use noodles instead of plain brown rice too. Yum.

For dessert I took the chocolate protein apple concept, but applied it to strawberries and blackberries. They were UH-MAZING. My dad said he could live without another "real" dessert again for his whole life if he could eat healthy desserts like this all the time. Big compliment!  And he doesn't even like strawberries.  Obviously not realistic to never have a sugar-based dessert, but hey. Good to know we can have awesome desserts that taste good and are good body fuel too!

Day 23:

Had to take my cat to the vet, so no workout, no lemon water, and shake slurped down asap--around 8 am.

Left for work way over an hour early since the vet didn't take as long as expected, but got stuck in traffic for 40 minutes. Still made it early and probably didn't bring enough food to sustain us for the day since we got an early start, but we will make do.

I decided to make a little coffee and I felt fine after. I think I'm right that I just can't handle it daily. Bummer, but relief that I can still drink it.

For lunch (which I also ate early--for me. 12:30), I had a turkey sandwich on brown rice toast with spicy mustard and organic mixed greens.

Had a snack of mixed nuts & a clementine. No pic.

It's American Idol night, so off to my parents I went. I ate another clementine and a half plus some more almonds. Finally, I was hungry. But too snacky!

For dinner I made (brown rice) tortilla pizzas again. This time with onion, broccoli, roasted red pepper, daiya faux-mozza, pizza sauce chorizo! I also made a small simple salad. Good dinner, but I ate it way too fast because the rude dogs were surrounding me!

I was DYING for chocolate, especially my new fave healthy fruit-covered chocolate! Buttttt I didn't get home 'til after 10 and didn't want to eat that late so I went without.

Day 24:

My morning hot lemon water idea is not panning out thus far. Will keep on trying to make the time/effort. :-x

I was still yearning for chocolate and in a more decadent form than a protein shake, so I made chocolate strawberry coconut oatmeal. It was AMAZE. I cooked 1/4 a cup of gf oats in some water, then when they were almost done I mixed in frozen organic strawberries, cocoa powder, just shy of a scoop of chocolate sunwarrior, a few drops of vanilla stevia and a tbsp of coconut oil. It was a little on the small side, but so good.

It was a HECTIC morning. I won't go into deets, but between running around like a crazy person getting everything prepared for the day, I got hungry again pretty quickly. 1/2 a cup of oats is too much for me, but maybe I should give 1/3 a cup a try next time for more staying power.

I didn't even get to the office today until 11, but once I did I made a mug of green tea with a clementine.

For lunch I had a salad with organic mixed greens, broccoli, turkey lunch meat, raw almonds, and evoo/balsamic. It was pretty good but also not a large enough portion.

Had an organic apple for a snack.

Ran an errand on the way home and ended up eating a bunch of strawberries in the car plus 2 small bites of pineapple. I think I also ate a bunch of almonds and more strawberries when I got home, but I can't really remember. I should have had a bigger lunch (and breakfast, looking back) and avoided the bottomless pit! Poor planning in my rush to get out the door.

For dinner I made grass fed beef that I marinated in soy (braggs liquid aminos) which I added to a bowl of  brown rice (that I added more aminos to) and peas. It was ok. I gave my brother some of the beef and he LOVED it. I thought it was a little tough.

Day 25:

I got to take off today since I'm working Saturday--woohoo!

I started off with 3 slices of nitrite-free turkey bacon, organic fake-cheerio cereal with berries and coconut milk, and southern pecan flavored coffee with vanilla stevia and coconut milk. I definitely prefer almond milk to coconut milk with cereal, but it was alright. I would have only had 1-2 slices of bacon, but there was only 3 left in the package, so I took it as a sign I needed them all! C'mon, it makes sense.

For lunch my Mom and I went to Red Lobster at the last second. I figured there would be tons of fresh-fish options for me to choose from, but not really the case. I almost didn't eat to be safe, but my mom would have felt bad, so I had redfish that I asked to be broiled with no butter or seasonings, a side salad with no croutons (oil & vinegar), and 2 sides of plain, steamed broccoli. Sounds boring, but it was actually pretty tasty, especially with lemon, sea salt, and pepper. I felt ridiculous asking for all these modifications and then having to send the salad back when it came with croutons. Yet, even after all that I still felt like CRAP after. But then again so did my mom, so who knows why?

I wasn't hungry again the rest of the day, but still ate dinner:

grassfed beef burger on gluten free english muffin with daiya fake cheese, organic spring mix, tomato, saurkraut, and mustard with curry sweet potato fries dipped in a lil ketchup. Delish!

Had to get our last dose of soy in, so I made tofu pudding with cocoa powder, stevia, and almond butter. It was ok...pretty good. I topped it with a little extra almond butter + warmed up berries and stevia. It was really hard to whip up on the Vitamix for some reason though. I don't get it. But eventually it all came together as I planned.

I still felt kinda crappy. My throat/esophogus had a full feeling? And I just felt weighed down. It's weird. I wonder if even though they're gluten free, my body can't process so many grains? Or maybe it is the soy reacting? I was fine the first 2 days we added soy back, but the last 2 I felt weird. Hmmm. So many possibilities! I also had a stomach cramp type feeling under my right side rib, like when you run and get a stitch, but I was just sitting. My Dad said he got the same feeling, but in his lower side. Huh!

At least I got to snuggle this lil guy!

Day 26:

I had to be at work around 8:45 for new groups that we had starting. I usually don't work 'til 10 or 10:30! It wasn't too rough, luckily. Probably because I took yesterday off instead. Good call! 


I had a shake made with a sample of a chocolate protein powder I had plus coconut milk and berries. It took me soooooooooo long to drink. IDK why. I guess because I forgot to bring a straw to the office. It was also really thick and parts didn't blend well. Vitamix, I miss you! I have a magic bullet at work, but usually it does a good job! Oh well

Actually, I was so slow drinking it, I still had about half left when lunchtime came around. So I had both at once. Ridic. For my lunch I finished off leftovers from Red Lobster. I didn't get sick this time. Strange, but good.

After work I ran food-related errands. It was supposed to be my off day with coffee, but on the way to Trader Joe's I got hit with a headache, so at TJ's I snagged two sample cups of the black stuff. I always wonder if I'm becoming caffeine-dependent, but usually I'm fine when I skip. Today, however, I was not. Luckily, that little bit seemed to do the trick.

For dinner I made brown rice spaghetti with lean turkey meat mushroom marinara and a side salad.

For dessert I made TrulyJess' protein chocolate chocolate (with almonds, in our case). Delish! My Dad and I HIGHLY approve.

Day 27:

I made a late weekend brunch of pumpkin pancakes made with gf oats, coconut flour, almond meal, pumpkin, a chia egg, cinnamon, and coconut milk topped with almond butter and "jam" (frozen blackberries and strawberries heated up with stevia and a teeny bit of coconut oil and protein powder). I forgot to put the protein powder in the pancake batter, but I guess the jam made up for it. Plus, we had protein from my new obsession: turkey bacon!

I decided to take another day off from coffee, even though I only had the samples yesterday, so I made a pumpkin chai tea latte with almond milk. Delish.

I had a late-late lunch/early dinner of a deconstructured stuffed pepper made using: grilled chicken thighs, brown rice, and grilled green pepper mixed up in a bowl tossed with hot sauce. I also made half of a grilled acorn squash drizzled with coconut butter (and a drop of stevia). Grilling squash works great, fyi.

 I kept sampling the food as I made it, so by the time I sat down to eat I only managed maybe half. To drink, I had a grapefruit Zevia. I tried the grape, but saved it for my Dad. It tasted like robbitussin. Yuck! It has awesome reviews online--weirdos!

Zevia's were half-off at Sprouts, so my Dad and I each went a little crazy. And this was us holding back. I considered multiple packs of my most coveted flavors, but refrained.

I also had a little over half a serving of protein chocolate almond bark.

Then, I made these gluten free muffins I had picked up from a box when we first started the diet. I only later noticed they asked you to add sugar, egg, and oil. My bad. I added a little stevia, a chia egg, and oil. On their own they're pretty bland, but topped with coconut spread they're a-ok. I wouldn't buy the mix again, but I will certainly finish them off.

I was too full to eat anything else, save for the last of the protein choc. And then, only because it was there and I didn't know if it would keep.

Day 28:

Gym time! I made the MRM Driven mixed with water and did 31 min on the elliptical and light stretching. I moved up in resistance, so I guess the supplement does work.

Strawberry-blackberry protein shake with almond butter to start.

It kept me full for awhile this time. I don't get it, I did nothing different, but I'll take it.

I did get a small stomachache, not sure if it was from the shake or the MRM powder.

For lunch I turned leftovers into a salad: organic greens, tomato, grilled chicken, grilled pepper, grilled squash, brown rice, kalamata olives, and saurkraut with evoo/balsamic. I meant to add avocado, but ended up saving it for dinner.

I also intended to to bring a Kombucha, but left it at home. Boo.

For a snack I had a green tea "latte" (warmed coconut milk--not frothed) with 2 mini gf muffins with coconut spread.

FYI: I have coconut oil, coconut butter, and coconut spread. The oil and the butter are pure coconut, but the spread (made by earth balance) is a mix of coconut, palm, and canola oil. It has a light coconut flavor, but is more comparable to (dairy) butter otherwise.

When I went to pick up my pup (my Mom watches her for me while I'm at work--doggie daycare!), I ate about 3 handfuls of almonds that promptly spoiled my appetite.

But alas, I pushed through and ate dinner anyway. As seems common theme 'round these parts lately. I was going to make a slightly more elaborate meal, but in the end turkey burgers on gf english muffins won. Topped with organic mixed greens, tomato, onion, saurkraut, organic ketchup, and mustard. For a quick side I made brussels sprouts with a little coconut spread. And strawberry Zevia. I had only tried that flavor once before and thought it was okay, but it's really growing on me.

For dessert we had, what else, protein almond bark!

Up next? Bread! Pizza! Gluuuuuuuten.


No comments:

Post a Comment